It is very hard to deal with emotions when a loved one passed away. When someone you know is grieving today for the passing away of a family or loved one, finding the right words to express condolences can sometimes be difficult. The funeral flowers you send may be enough to convey your thoughtfulness. If words are hard to utter, you can always choose flowers as your way to condole with the grieving family.
Moreover, there are things you write on funeral flowers that will encourage and uplift someone’s sad and unhappy soul. Simple condolence messages may not heal the wounded soul and the painful heart but these messages may help comfort a gloomy heart. Just like how a balm soothes the wounded spirit, words of condolences are sure to make the soul a little lighter.
What is a Condolence Message?
Condolence message is the heartfelt sympathy message you say to someone who is grieving or sad because of the death of a loved one or family member. During this time of grief, the only thing that you can do is to express your sympathy to comfort the person during bereavement.
Although words may not be enough to take away the pain, you can still provide comfort and relief through appropriate and sympathetic condolence messages.
In addition, condolence messages are the sincerest words for funeral flowers, if you are sending funeral sprays or funeral wreaths.
How to Write a Perfect Condolence Message?
Writing condolence message to a friend, loved one, or family can be a challenge some times. Choosing the perfect words to write on the card message or on the ribbons may require you to follow guidelines in order to say the right words and prevent writing offensive words.
If you are planning to write the perfect condolence message, here’s how you should do it according to the experts:
- Acknowledge that the pain is real.
In writing your message of condolences, it is important to acknowledge that the pain the person feels is real. It will not help in any ways if you will avoid this fact.
- Express words of sympathy.
A simple condolences quote may express your sympathy to the person or to the family. You can write condolence message on wreath to express your thoughts if you are sending funeral wreaths.
- Write things that matter.
When writing a perfect condolence message, include only the things that matter and avoid other filler words that should not be said or uttered during this time of grief. You can ask a florist for a list of condolence messages, in case you do not know what to write.
Things You Should NOT Say to a Grieving Person
It is true that words unfit to speak can hurt a person. This is also applicable when saying and writing your death condolence message. In your aim to not say anything that may offend the grieving family, you may want to look for appropriate words to use. Here are some of the phrases and messages that you should avoid when writing condolence message:
- Never say that what happened was for the best of everyone.
- Never say that the deceased person is already in a better place.
- Never say you are not the only person who is grieving for losing a loved one.
- Never say you should move on now to a grieving person.
- Never rationalize and justify death.
- Never make false promises.
Simple and Short Condolences Message
If you are not directly related or you don’t have a close relationship and friendship with the family of the deceased, writing simple and short condolence messages is appropriate. There are short phrases and quotes with straightforward meaning that are ideal for condolences flower message. Check these short and simple condolences message:
- My deepest sympathy.
- I am sorry for your loss.
- You are in my prayers.
- Accept my heartfelt sympathy.
- You are in my thoughts and prayers.
- I am deeply saddened to hear your loss.
- Please accept my condolences.
Heartfelt Condolence Messages on Death of Husband
It can be very painful for a wife to lose a husband. The death of a husband is more than just an end of an earthly or physical relationship but a loss of a partner, friend, confidant, and supporter, which is why it is a painful and distressing experience.
As you wish to comfort a woman who grieves because her husband passed away, the most thoughtful way to offer your condolence messages and words of sympathy is by sending funeral or sympathy flowers. In addition, there are some words worth expressing.
- May you find comfort and peace in the love of God! You and your children are in our thoughts and prayers.
- Please accept our heartfelt condolences on the passing of your husband. We are deeply saddened of this sad news.
- I am sorry for your loss. Please know that I am honored to have known your husband. His legacy will be remembered.
- My heart goes out to you and your family as your loving husband passed away. May you feel the love of your family and friends in this trying time!
- We are humbled to personally know your husband and had wonderful memories with him at work. We send our condolences to you during this time of grief.
Deep Condolence Message on Death of Wife
For someone who lost a wife, life will become different not only for the husband who is left behind but also for every child who are used to have their mom every minute of time.
In sending and writing message of condolences for someone who lost a wife, offering words of sympathy to comfort the grieving soul is the right thing to do. During this difficult time of grief, it is very important to choose the right words to say. For condolence message on the death of a wife, here’s what you can say to the family:
- Condolences to the bereaved family. May God rest her soul!
- Our sincerest condolences to your family. We wish to extend our prayers for everyone she left behind.
- We are terribly sorry for the passing of your wife. May our prayers and thoughts bring you comfort during this painful time.
- Your wife was a wonderful person. She never failed to inspire and encourage us in life. May she rest in peace! Please accept our condolences.
- Words are not enough to express our deep condolences for the passing of your wife. Please know that we are here to show our support to your family on this time of grief.
Respectful Condolences Message for Loss of Father
Losing a father is a traumatic experience for every child, thus it is more difficult to find the right words of condolences to say. Grief sometimes leave a person feeling alone and hopeless. To a friend or loved one who lost a father, this can be a tragic experience that he or she has to pass. What better way to help one than to comfort and support with words of sympathy and condolences.
- I am sorry for your loss. Your father will be truly missed.
- Our condolences and prayers to you and your family. Your father has left all of us with wonderful memories to cherish.
- My heartfelt condolences for the passing of your father. May his soul rest in peace!
- You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers as you grieve for the passing of your father.
- Condolences to the bereaved family. May our Lord comfort you with His love!
- Sending you our deepest condolences. May prayers and support from the people who love you comfort your soul through this difficult time!
- Please accept my condolences. Words may not be enough to ease your pain but know that you are in my prayers.
Sympathy Message for Loss of Mother
A child will always have a heart that yearns for his or her mother. Losing a mom can be so painful for every child. If you are looking for ways to express your sympathy to someone who just lost a mother, sending flowers is a wonderful option.
Moreover, there are words that you can say to convey your sympathy and support to a child or children grieving for the passing of a mother:
- Offering you our thoughts and prayers on the loss of your mother. Please know that we are here to support you if you need someone to talk to.
- We extend our heartfelt condolences to your family. May the soul of your dear mother rest in peace!
- I am deeply saddened to hear the loss of your mother. I know that you are greatly suffering now from pain and grief. May the Lord God comfort you with His love and peace!
- Your mother was the kindest person I have known. She will never be forgotten. Please accept my condolences.
- May comfort and peace that comes from God embrace you and your family today! My heart goes out to you.
Deepest Condolence Message on Death of Brother
Simple words are just great when they are meant to sympathize and condole with people grieving for the loss of a brother. Losing a brother can be painful for siblings, and the family may experience such a great loss. During this time of grief, showing empathy to a friend is helpful. In addition, you can say words of condolences such as the following:
- There are no words to express my heartfelt condolences and sympathy for you and your family on the passing of your brother. Please accept my deepest condolences.
- The wonderful memories that your brother shared with us will always be cherished. May his soul find perfect peace and rest in God!
- It is an honor to have known your brother who taught us many remarkable things. We will truly miss him. Our heartfelt condolences.
- My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family on the passing of your brother.
- Accept our deepest condolences. Your brother was a gentle soul to all of us. God bless his soul.
Warmth Condolence Message for Loss of Sister
It can be hard to know what words are best to say to express warmth condolences to a family who lost a loved one. But you can communicate to the grieving family, especially to siblings of the deceased person by conveying your thoughtfulness and concern for them. It will be a comfort to them to know that there are people who care for them during this trying time. Here are some of the words to say to a friend or someone you know who lost a sister:
- I am sorry for your loss. May your sister’s soul rest in peace!
- My deepest condolences to you and your family on the passing of your sister. I want you to know that I am here if you need a friend to talk to.
- May God comfort your soul and heal your heart as you grieve for the loss of a sister! Know that my prayers go out to you.
- I am blessed to have known the beautiful heart of your sister. I am deeply saddened of her passing. Please accept my warm condolences.
- I know that this is a very difficult experience for you. Please know that I am here for you. I am sorry for your loss.
Comforting Condolence Message on a Death of a Child
The hardest thing for a parent to witness and go through is the death of a child. Losing a precious child pierces the heart that it feels like the pain will never be over. During this time of pain and sorrow, parents are expected to be sensitive and hopeless. Comforting condolence messages are just perfect if you want to reach out and comfort the parents. Here are some examples of comforting condolence messages for a mother or father who lost a child:
- Your loss deeply saddens every one of us. Please know that our prayers go out to you and your family during this time of loss.
- Sending you our deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathy for the passing of your child. May God cover you with His comforting love!
- Our sincerest condolences. In this time of sorrow, may the love and care of the people who surround you comfort you and strengthen you.
- We will never forget the joyful character and person of your child. May he/she rest in peace!
- Our thoughts and prayers are for you and your family during this sorrowful time of grief. Please accept our heartfelt condolences.
Peaceful Condolence Message to a Friend
Many people are afraid to express condolence messages because they do not want to say the wrong words. On the other hand, a friend who is grieving for a loss of a loved one needs those comforting words to stay strong. If you want to convey your thoughts and sentiments to a grieving friend, these are the words that you can say:
- I keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this sorrowful situation. I send you my deepest condolences.
- We are with you in sorrow. Please accept our peaceful condolences.
- May the memories of your loved one bring you comfort and peace!
- So sorry to hear of your loved one’s passing. Our sincere sympathies and condolences to you and to your family.
- My tears are flowing for a wonderful friend. May God rest his/her soul in peace!
- We extend our deepest condolences and sympathy to your family during this sad time. Just know that we are here to support you.
Condolence Message on Death of Teacher or Mentor
Comforting words of condolences can be shared to the grieving family. If you have beautiful memories of your teacher or mentor, or if you want to reach out to his or her family left behind, there are condolence messages that you might find appropriate to say. Here are some of the examples of condolence message on death of a teacher or mentor:
- He was a great mentor to all of us and his passing will never take away the legacy he left with us. May his soul rest in peace in God’s kingdom!
- I will surely miss her wonderful ways of reaching out to us. Her mentorship had been remarkable and no one can replace her in our hearts. Our deepest condolences.
- Wishing you comfort and peace during this time of grief. We are deeply saddened to hear the passing of our kindest teacher. Please accept our condolence.
- We send our prayers and thoughts in this time of grief. She was the most dedicated teacher we had known. May her soul rest in peace!
- Sending you our deepest sympathy and condolences for the passing of your loved one. We will cherish his leadership forever.
Sincere Condolence Message on Loss of a Pet
Even the death of a pet could leave someone devastated and pained. There are people and pet owners who grew attached to their pets that they fell lost and alone when the pet dies. On this sad time, there are sincere condolence messages that you can say to express sympathy and care. Here are some examples of messages of condolences for pet owners who loss a pet:
- Please accept my deepest condolences and sympathy on the loss of your dear dog. You are such a loving pet owner. I am sure that your memories with your pet will comfort you through this time.
- I am sorry to hear the loss of your pet. Please know that I am praying for you as you mourn for your pet.
- It is sad to her of your loss. I know that losing a pet is painful. Please accept my sincere condolences.
- Thoughts and prayers go out to you and to your family as you grieve for a precious member of the family who passes away.
- I admire your love for your pet. May God comfort your heart and soul as you grieve and mourn for the loss of your friend and playmate!
Condolence Message to a Colleague
Reaching out to a colleague when you heard the sad news of the passing away of his or her loved one is a natural impulse. While it can be difficult to comfort and ease a wounded heart that is grieving for a loss of a loved one, there are words of condolences that are just appropriate for the situation. Consider these condolence messages to a colleague during the time of grief:
- My deepest condolences! I know that it is difficult to accept the loss of a loved one. If there is anything I can do to help you through, please do not hesitate to let me know.
- No one can fully share the grief and pain you are feeling now for losing a loved one. Please know that my prayers go out to you. May God be your comfort!
- My condolences to you and to your family. Holding you close in our prayers and thoughts as you go through the pain.
- May God shower you with peace and comfort as you mourn for your loved one! We are here to support you. Please accept our condolences.
- Our sincerest condolences. We are sad to hear the news of your loved one’s passing.
Compassionate Christian Condolence Messages
Aside from prayers, support, and comforting words, compassionate Christian condolence messages are also expected in a Christian funeral. Although it is difficult to find the right words that will comfort a grieving soul, there are few well-spoken words that seem appropriate for a time of grief. Here are some of the words of sympathy, prayers, and condolences for a Christian who lost a loved one:
- I am praying that may you have peace and strength at this time of sorrow and grief. You have my deepest sympathies.
- Although no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer. I know that God holds you in His loving arms.
- May the Lord comfort you with His love, joy, and peace as you go through this sad time! Please let us know what we can do to help you.
- I may not understand how you feel now for losing a loved one, but I am with you in prayers and thoughts.
- We are praying for your comfort, strength, and peace as you go through pain and grief on the loss of a loved one.
Written words or spoken ones can mend a broken soul. Words do have power and using them to convey comfort and sympathy can surely ease the heaviness of any human heart.
Loss of loved ones is one of the most painful events that all individuals should face. If you are sending a condolence wreath funeral flower, card or delivering a message to a friend who just lost a special person in his or her life, here are some suggested kind words by flower delivery expert you can say to them.
For those who lost their parents…
BY AN ACCIDENT
“My friend, my heart weeps for your loss. The lovely parents you had were also once the second parents I consider. I am very saddened by this incident. In times like this, please have an open mind to accept the painful reality that life sometimes throw us into painful situations and the aches demand to be felt – in a blink of an eye, they were already gone, yet, we will miss them forever. I hope you will not drown yourself to tears, for we are still with you. Please do accept my heartfelt condolences and be assured that I will be praying for their souls. Be strong, my friend, for life is still beautiful, believe me, it is still worth living for.”
BY A FATAL ILLNESS
“In times of great sorrow, please know that I am here. Your parent’s lives were well spent enough and so, what is left for us to do is to be grateful that they once spent those special moments with us. Your mother/father gave life a good fight and for sure, if he/she is still capable enough to fight more, he/she will never back down. Your parent needs this rest for he/she has already been exhausted. Keep the faith that wherever he/she is now, he/she is no longer in pain. Please accept my deepest condolences for this loss. My prayers will always be with you.
You may also consider adding the following:
- Sympathy from my family to yours for the passing of your mother/father. He/she is such a great loss.
- We will always keep them in our hearts. God bless his/her soul.
- He/She was an inspiration to all of us. We will forever miss him/her.
- I am with you in these grieving moments.
- He/she was a wonderful person. Losing him/her brings our hearts with so much sadness. May he/she rest in peace.
- The news saddened our hearts. Please know that we are thinking of you and your family in this time of sorrow.
For those who experienced miscarriage.
For couples who are expecting their first born child, miscarriage does not only kill the unborn baby, but also the hopes and dreams of the parents-to-be. If you know someone whose hearts are melting because of such situation, consider these kind words to say to them.
“Your little angel may not have lived that long for you to hug and kiss him/her every day, but the love you shared with him/her even when he/she is still inside the womb was felt and treasured. My friend, I am very saddened for this loss. Please know that you are always included in my prayers as well as your little angel. May the little one watches over you from heaven and recognizes you as his/her loving parents.”
For those who lost their husbands/wives.
Losing a spouse means the end of the world for one. However, as a friend, you need to do your part to at least speak or write the words that your friend needs to hear and read for him/her to realize that there is still a better life waiting after mourning.
“The love you once shared will never fade even if he/she is gone. He/she was taken for a reason and that reason sometimes goes beyond all our senses could understand. The least you can do is to accept that he/she is already in the loving hands of the Creator. Even in these times of grieving, please do not forget that you still have us, your family, your friends and your loving kids who will never leave you alone. Please be strong for yourself and for the little ones who are also getting their strength from you. Your partner may have hurt you now for leaving you in despair, but he/she never intends and won’t be happy seeing you suffer. Please leave each day as if he/she is still with you, because even in heaven, he/she watches over you. The love bonded with God will never fade even when heaven and earth will.”
You may also consider adding the following:
- I hope you find strength from those who still love you.
- In this difficult period, please know that we are just here.
- Do not forget that this will pass and with time and the right company, we can sail through these rough waves in our lives.
- Knowing your husband/wife is an honor. He/she is a wonderful person. Please accept my sincere condolences.
- You had a wonderful marriage and I share with you the grief of losing such a wonderful person in your life.
- He/she will truly be missed.
- He/she may have left us, yet he/she will forever be in our hearts.
- In these difficult times, please know that many people love you, and who pray for your courage and peace of heart and soul.
Whether someone losts a wife, a husband, a mother, a brother, a sister, a best friend, a grandmother or father, a child, a cousin or even the closest colleague or superior, these are the people who need the right words for them to get the needed strength to help them recover such a great loss.
Always be sensitive whatever you say and do towards them since they are in their most fragile self.
If you cannot find some time to visit the wake and say personally your warm condolences, you can always send a letter, just to convey the message that you are with them in difficult times. Your presence and or words will mean so much for any grieving hearts.