While the red rose is the most common type of rose and probably one that everyone would first think of when it came to the said bloom, another common color that roses come with is the color white. The color white itself symbolizes innocence and purity and when it comes to roses, it is no different. This is also the color that symbolizes new beginnings. The most common place you would find these white blooms is in a bridal bouquet. Roses, in its own, is a symbol of love which is why a white rose is the perfect one for weddings.
The White Rose
The white rose is known to be perfect for reverent occasions. It is used to honor a friend and recognition of new beginnings and even farewells. This rose also conveys the message of respect and expresses hope. Historically, the white rose was known because it was a heraldic sign of a Duke in York who faced the Lancaster family whose symbol was the red rose. That is why in history it is called the ‘War of Roses’. Even today, the white rose is still used to represent innocence, purity and pure love. Which is why it is so famous during weddings and similar occasions, like christenings and graduations.
If you are planning to convey your pure love for somebody, the best option would be white roses. This is because the color white represents purity and the rose is a symbol for love. It is a subtle and warm way to tell someone you love them in the most innocent and purest of ways.
In Mythology, however, white roses were known to be the first type of rose to ever exist. It was heavily associated with the Goddess of Love and Beauty. The story goes that Aphrodite had picked these roses and pricked herself, which was why they had turned red because of her blood. During the Victorian Era, white roses were known to be new beginnings or that start of courtship.
The white rose is actually very significant in history. Even in Religion, the white rose is believed to be important to Christianity as the Virgin Mary is often linked to them. The white rose represents her Virtues like purity, Joy and light. This is why the white rose is also significant in weddings.
The Meanings behind the White Rose
The white rose is mainly a symbol of true love. This is why it is significant in weddings as it is the start of a new beginning and marital bond. This is also because the white rose holds the meaning of hope. Hope for a new beginning and the future which makes it all the more perfect for those who are about to begin a new life with the one they love.
Of course, it is not limited to only bridal bouquets as the white rose can be used to represent young love, admiration and even gratitude. These white blooms are also perfect for graduations and even something to signify the beauty in goodbyes.
The significance of the number of stems
While the colors of the roses may differ in meaning, the meaning behind the number of stems in a hand bouquet does not change. If you want to add more meaning to your white roses, you should take into consideration the meaning behind their numbers. Not only will this make the message you want to convey more special but it would also make the receiver feel more loved because of the effort you placed into learning about roses and their meanings. Here are numbers of roses that you could try to convey a message:
- A single rose – a simple way to tell someone you have fallen for them at first sight.
- 2 roses – This represents a deep kind of love.
- 3 roses – the number is enough to say the three words of ‘I love you.’
- 10 roses – If you find someone perfect, then this number holds that meaning.
- 16 roses – This is a simple and beautiful way to say ‘Bon Voyage’.
- 21 roses – This number symbolizes commitment.
- 25 roses – this is to wish someone all the happiness in the world.
- 27 roses – This is perfect to give to your wife to tell her you love her.
- 36 roses – if you want to remind someone you love of all your sweet and loving memories, this is the number of stems for you.
- 44 roses – This is to pledge undying and unchanging love.
- 47 roses – this number conveys the message ‘you are my one and only’.
- 50 roses – A simple message to say ‘unconditional love’.
- 51 roses – this number conveys the message that you are only thinking of one person and that is the receiver.
- 56 roses – This is a simple way to symbolize and represent ‘love.’
- 77 roses – this number is ‘faith’ which is why it is perfect for someone you consider your soulmate.
- 88 roses – This is how you say sorry in a sweet and simple way.
- 99 roses meaning – While this may seem extravagant, 99 roses actually represent the kind of love that would last a lifetime. If you plan to tell someone you love them for the rest of your life, then this is definitely the number you should choose for their flower bouquet.