Most often, funeral flowers are just thrown after the funeral ceremony without realizing that there are a lot of ways that you can do after it. If you are curious about it, here are the things that you can do with the funeral flowers after the funeral.
- The most traditional and accepted way is leaving the funeral flowers on the grave. Funeral flowers are meant to be given to the deceased person as a way of remembering them. It is also a way of sympathizing with the family of the deceased that you are with them in rough times.
- You may take them home with you and create a flower arrangement out of it. Sometimes, funeral flowers give sentimental value to you especially when the deceased person is very close to you. Flowers bring a lot of memories, so instead of throwing them away after the funeral, you may take them home with you and display it inside your house to fill that emptiness that you are feeling.
- You may also donate the funeral flowers. If you are the type of person who likes to be pragmatic and sustainable, you may wish to donate the funeral flowers to someone who is also experiencing a loss of a loved one. But before doing it, give them a ring first before giving it. Some people may find it rude especially that the flowers are recycled. But if they opt to accept it, make sure to remove all the funeral cards or messages attached to it.
- You can also make your own potpourri. Potpourri is one way of preserving your flowers in general by mixing the dried petals and spices and placing them in a bowl or small sack in order to make a perfume for your clothing or inside your room. But first, you will be needing spices, herbs, and your favorite essential oils. You can buy these at your local supermarket. Flowers will lose eventually lose their radiance, so instead of throwing them away, you may make a potpourri and give them as gifts to your close friends or family as a memento.
- You can also frame them. All you need to do is to prepare the materials that you will be needing.
- First, prepare a blotting paper, hanging frame, organic glue, flower press. You can buy them at your local bookstore or craft store.
- Then prepare your flowers. Choose the ones that are easy to press and are very delicate.
- Then prepare your press and layer up the blotted paper onto the flower press. The blotting paper serves to remove the moisture from the flowers and dry it out. It helps preserve the dead flowers as well as flatten them for a period of time.
- Slowly press the flower face down into the blotting paper and take another piece of blotting paper and put the flower between the layers. Carefully press the flowers with a lot of blotting paper tightly.
- Then leave it for two to four weeks in a warm and dry place. Don’t forget to check the press once in a while and make sure that the blotting paper hasn’t gotten too moist.
- Once in a while, you have to replace the blotting paper as soon as the flower dries out. Once they are pressed, you can now start putting them on the glass of the frame.
- Then the last and final step is to apply a small amount of glue at the back of the flower and stick them together onto the glass frame. Then you are done. You can hang the frame in your room or you can give them as gifts.
- You can also put them inside a jar. This is also another method of preserving your flowers. But before anything else, you need to prepare the materials that you are going to use for this method. But don’t worry, this technique is simple and you will only be needing two things: scissors and mason jar or any jar that you prefer.
- First, you need to dry first the flowers. There are a lot of techniques on how to dry your flowers. Any method will do as long as the flowers are completely dried. It will take you about two to four weeks of drying your flowers.
- The most highly recommended and easiest way of drying your flowers is through air dry. All you need to do is find a spot in your home where it is dry and warm. Then simply tie them together and turn them upside down. Once they are dry, you can have the option of applying hairspray on them to prevent crumbling.
- Then cut the stems on different lengths to create variations in the jar. You can also cut the little flowers to fill up the spaces of the bottle.
- Then you can start to fill up the bottle with your air-dried flowers and cover it. You can seal the cover with a ribbon to spruce things up.
- And finally, you can now put them as decorations at home or create more to give to your friends as gifts.
Funeral flowers give a lot of sentimental value to people that is why some people just want to keep it forever as a way of preserving the memory of the deceased person. Even though funeral flowers will eventually wilt, you can still do a lot of things with them instead of throwing them away.