You may have seen photos and videos of floral ice cubes by the expert florist on the internet and thought about doing them yourself. Of course, you may not know the first thing on making the perfect floral ice cubes that are not only Instagram worthy but instills pride in your little creative heart. There are many things that could go wrong when you try to make floral ice cubes. It takes precision and hard work in order to get the hang of it. It is not like making ice cubes, or popsicle sticks.
Floral ice cubes are a creative and beautiful way to make drinks more fun and less boring. This adds beauty to it as well that would make anyone want to sip their tea or nibble on the ice just to get to that flowery center. If it is your first time doing so, do not get frustrated right away when the outcome is not what you are expecting. It takes practice and the right amount of patience, and of course the perfect method to make the perfect floral ice cubes.
Things the could go wrong when making floral ice cubes are usually out of your control and has more to do with the process of getting it frozen. The ice may get foggy with air bubbles. The flower may move to an awkward and ugly position or be not visible at all. But do not get disappointed as making the perfect floral ice cubes is possible.
Here are some ways to make them look close to perfection:
- Find the perfect ice cube tray – usually, the best tray molds are those that are made of rubber. This lessens the chances of gas being trapped inside the tray that would, later on, become clouds on your ice cubes. Preventing them from being clear and pretty. When you get the perfect tray, it also does well if you experiment and see what tray suits you. It is also good to have a small tray compared to a big one that can take up so much space on your cooler. A tray that can make four ice cubes is already okay. Especially when you are still starting out.
- Finding the perfect garnish – of course, choosing the garnish is important. You should think about what the said garnish would make the drink taste like as the ice melts into the drink. Choosing the perfect garnish for the drink should be something you are prepared for because if the garnish does not suit well with the drink it could make or break the whole drink. It is also good to use garnish that does not slip or move around often as you place it in the water. You could use fruits for a more solid foundation or flowers that are heavy and do not float around when placed in water to not destroy the design and positioning you had in mind.
There is a method to make sure that the garnish stays in its place as the water freezes inside your cooler. Make sure to take note of the instructions and steps below to start making your perfect floral ice cubes:
- Fill up an ice tray with hot water, but not boiling and you place this at the bottom of your freezer. Not anywhere on a shelf or above.
- Let the water freeze or leave it for at least six hours until a thin sheet of ice is formed on top. It should not be that solid as you need to remove this layer gently and briefly set is aside.
- It is time to put the garnish. Place it in the unfrozen part of the tray. Then place the thin layer of ice you removed a while ago back on top. This is the tricky part as this could determine just how much bubbles or gas would be trapped. You want to slowly slide it back up on an angle that lets all the bubbles escape. You can use your fingers to move the garnish in place if you need to.
- Put the tray back in the freezer and this time, let the water freeze completely. Remove it when it is frozen enough and see the results.
Of course, there is no easy way to make the perfect floral ice cubes but at least you can try. It takes patience and experimenting to know what method works for you best. You can start by making the perfect and clear ice cubes first before you head to the garnishing part. You can also experiment with your garnishes and get creative by using different types of edible flowers or fruits that make you happy.
There is absolutely no rule against designing or creating your floral ice cubes the way you want them to, except for the taste they will have when they get mixed with the drink. You need to choose garnishes that are compatible with the drink you would be mixing them in with. You can also always check out the internet as there are a lot of videos on youtube that show how to create floral ice cubes and make them stay pretty even after the freezing. Be creative and have fun with the process as making floral ice cubes is a fun activity that can be done by anyone, even children.