If you have an interest in arranging and gaining more knowledge about flowers, then you may be a perfect future floral specialist. The job of a floral specialist includes arranging flowers, both natural and artificial, into eye-catching exhibits and displays such as hand bouquets, centerpieces, corsages, or gift baskets. In addition, a floral specialist can also work as her own gardener by growing her own flowers and greenery or as her own boss by being a freelance flower specialist. A floral specialist needs to be a creative, industrious, and artistic person. Working as a floral specialist needs extreme dedication because it needs patience and tenacity. A person who works this job might work long period of hours and there are customers that are also hard to handle. But, if you really have a passion for flowers and creating beautiful displays out of them, then you can become a professional floral designer. If you still have no idea on how to start your career as a floral specialist, we have made a simple guide for you to course through to achieving your dreams which are divided into two major steps. Here is a step by step guide in becoming a floral specialist.
Learn and Develop Skills
Like any other services out there, being a floral specialist needs skill. As such, you must course through the basics and work your way up to reach the level of expertise required to build confidence in your skill and trust among your customers. Here are easy ways to help you learn the fundamental of floral arranging as well as different ways to enhance your skills.
- Formal Education – Though a degree is not required in becoming a floral specialist, enrolling yourself in various courses and seminars will help you learn some of the basic concepts in floral design. You can also develop your skills because you are able to polish and expand your ideas because of the different concepts taught. In addition, getting a formal education might help you connect with different floral specialist and inspire you to get more creative and artistic. You can also get verified by your country’s local institute of a floral designer to add credibility to your name.
- Build your Experience – As a job that is centered on creativity and individuality, the best way for you to develop your floral skills is to build your experience. This can be done so by applying as interns with floral professionals or by working in a flower shop. Always take note that you are still building your brand and that is why you need to learn from people who are doing the craft for an amount of time already.
- Attend Floral Exhibitions – Gaining knowledge does not only mean that you have to always work on hand. You can attend floral exhibitions so that you can get some inspiration for your creative juices. In addition, you can also see what the latest trends in the floral industry are and you are able to meet other florist specialists.
When you have already gained enough knowledge to jumpstart your career in becoming a floral specialist, the next thing for you to do is get to obtain customers and clients. Here are different steps that you can do to market your skills and officially start your career.
- Floral Competition – Joining floral competitions is a great way for you to get your name out in the market. The goal is not exactly to win but to attract prospective clients. In addition, competing can help you gain experience and showcase your skills. Floral competitions are a very great event for you to gain traction in starting your career.
- Online Market – Throughout the years, online advertising has helped local business and startups. Anyone can showcase their products online and so can you to. You can take pictures of your floral arrangements and compile them in a portfolio which you can upload online. There are also many marketing sites which you can offer your services.
- Set up your own Flower shop – if you have the resources and means to establish your own flower shop, then you should take that option! You can be your own boss and deal with the business hands on. More so, in establishing your own flower shop you can cultivate a relationship with other flower shop owners as well as able to meet prospect employees that can help you expand your business.
- Reach out to your friends – Business startups usually get traction through friends and relatives. So, if you are a freelance floral specialist, make sure that your close friends and relatives should know so that they can refer your services to someone they might know. They can also come to you first thing if they ever need flower arrangement services. A great jumpstart to your career is definitely through the word of mouth.
All florist specialist has something different that they place on the table. Each of them has unique ideas and designs that make them different from each other. As an aspiring floral specialist, you have to embrace your own uniqueness while also expanding your knowledge so that you can have a progressive and sustainable career. The path in being a widely known floral specialist is definitely not easy because the market is already filled with talented ones. But it is not to say that you have no room for it because everyone will always have the same 24 hours per day to achieve their dreams. We hope that this article has inspired you and made you more determined to be a floral specialist.