Buying a present for someone who is celebrating their birthday can sometimes be such a meticulous task. Especially if you are not close to that person, and you are merely acquaintances so you cannot gauge out what exactly is the perfect gift to give him or her. You can play it safe and buy commonly bought gifts or something you think someone of their personality or age would like or need. You can also go for something practical or universally accepted. If this person is someone you are close to, but you still have difficulty in buying them a gift and will not opt to buy birthday flowers from a florist, then you should consider buying them something with a personal touch or sentimental value.
What most people do not know is that there are things that are considered taboo gifts during birthdays. These are items or objects that are considered bad ideas to be gifts. If you are thinking of buying someone a gift for their birthday, make sure to avoid these taboo gifts. This would save everyone the trouble and avoid awkward moments. If you have experienced this on a personal level and have gotten a gift that was absolutely ridiculous or inappropriate, then you would know why it is best to avoid making anyone else experience such a thing.
Here are 12 of these taboo gifts you should never buy for anyone on their birthday:
- Sharp Objects – This is considered taboo in some countries because of the danger this could give. Sharp objects like knives and scissors are just some of the things that would bring danger to those who receive them. Unless that person is found of knives or is in the culinary business, it is best to avoid this dangerous gift.
- Perfume – The problem with buying someone perfume is sometimes the scent you choose is something they are not fond of. This could also project a message that you think this person needs perfume and in turn, the person would think he or she smells bad. Buying perfume should be something you do on your own, for yourself. Unless, of course, you know the specific brand and perfume this person likes.
- Self- Help Books – While some may enjoy a good book to read, self-help books do not really give or send off a good message. Especially for the one receiving it. This could make them feel like they need to stabilize their lives or that there is an aspect of their life that you have noticed that needs changing. Everyone needs to grow and become better versions of their selves but there is no need to bring it to that kind of personal level.
- Old Gift – This could probably be the worst thing you can do. Even if you have not used that gift or have not opened it, it is never a good idea to gift it to someone else. This would not be insulting to only one person but two, the one who has given you the gift and the one you will gift it to. Avoid this at all cost.
- Anti-Aging products – Some people may enjoy beauty products, but some might just get a tad bit insulted. Especially if you give them anti-aging products. This would make them feel conscious about their skin and body. Even if it is not the kind of message you want to get across some people get affected easily by the gifts you give them, so be careful.
- Shoes – it is believed that people who get shoes or give shoes away, give a message of ‘running away’ and this person would leave you eventually. Unless it is a subtle way of breaking up with someone, it is best to avoid and not test this superstition.
- Pets – Well, unless you have been with this person for years and know they are absolutely ready for something alive, then go ahead. But if you do not, it is never a good idea to surprise them with a pet. Not everyone will be too happy with the responsibility of taking care of another being. If you are planning to give someone a pet, make sure they are briefed and that they are absolutely sure of it.
- Something useless – There are many useless things people often buy for someone because it is either cheap or easily accessible. Do not buy someone something he or she cannot use unless it is something sentimental. In the modern world today, people need things that they can actually use or help them in their day to day lives.
- Coupons – While many people think this is a good gift, some countries absolutely find the idea unbelievable. Coupons in other countries can be found in boxes they buy or the products they use and the magazines they read. If you give someone this, you either need to make sure they would be useful to them. Otherwise, you would come off as someone who is cheap and does not really place an effort in buying gifts for the people you know or love.
- Something they already have – Giving them something they already have would be like giving them something they will not be able to use. Unless the one they already have gets broken or disappears. It is best to make sure you buy something they are still waiting to have.
- Clock – Some cultures find this gift having a morbid meaning or connotation. Giving someone a clock means their time on earth is limited, and it would come off as something dark and wrong to give someone.
- Impractical and Expensive – Sometimes the more expensive the gift does not necessarily equal to something beneficial and useful to the receiver. If you do plan on spending a lot for a gift, get them something practical or something they would absolutely enjoy.