One of the most exciting parts when growing flowers is seeing them bloom. Looking at these flowers in different colors and styles somehow uplifts your mood. It is important that you are aware of when will your plants produce flowers and search for ideas on how you can be able to help them rebloom. You also have to know that not all plants easily flower because some might only flower once a year. So if ever that you are planning to grow orchids at home, then you should search for information on how it can produce flowers, when will it flower, and how long the flowers survive.
Learning More about Orchids
Orchids are said to be the largest flowering plants with more than 30,000 species and 200,000 hybrids. You can never compare it to other flowering plants because of its complexity and beauty. No wonder why a lot of people are interested to grow their own orchids and wait for these plants to bloom. Orchids have the ability to easily adapt to any kind of environment that allows the growers to expect multiple blooms every year. This can be an advantage because you don’t have to worry about the kind of temperature you have in your place knowing that you can surely find the one that could thrive well in this condition.
Tropical areas are the common habitat for orchids because you can see them in the bark of trees. The roots of orchids easily absorb nutrients and moisture and can grow well with a sufficient amount of sunlight. Orchids require 12-hours of sunlight and good circulation of air. If you think that it is difficult to grow orchids then you are wrong. With lots of varieties that you can choose from, you can pick the one that you know will suit the temperature in your place and easy to maintain.
How to Grow Orchids
With lots of varieties of orchids, it would be very difficult to give you particular instructions on how to take care of these orchid plants. However, just by simply looking at the orchids, you can be able to have an idea on how you will grow it. If you notice that the orchids have lesser leaves then it only means that it requires more light. On the other hand, if the plants have fat pseudobulbs, then you should give it water in moderation and grow it in a lava rock or bark. In order for you to grow orchids at home, you have to provide them with basic needs such as the following:
- Growing media
Flowering Time of Orchids
The time when orchids bloom is not the same because it will depend on its hybridization and also with the kind of environment the plants are grown. Some produce flowers during summer while others flower during the winter. It can also be possible for you to force orchids to flower by simply changing the temperature in your growing area. There is also an instance wherein purchasing orchids that are already in bloom will adapt to the environment and will create its own bloom cycle according to its new environment.
There are some types of orchids that produce flowers once a year however some can also flower many times. If you have orchids at home, then it is important for you to know effective ways to rebloom the plants. Identifying the blooming time of your orchids can be very challenging which is the reason why you have to know more about the plants by doing extensive research. Besides, the internet can offer you everything you want to know about orchids so you don’t have to be confused about how to grow them the right way and allow them to flower on time.
How to Set Off the Flowering of Orchids
If you are a little bit excited to see your orchids bloom, then you have to search for ways on how you can be able to trigger it to flower. Most orchids produce flowers once a year however it is still possible for the plants to rebloom. You can encourage the orchids to flower by adjusting the environment where you’re planning them to grow. Here are some methods that you can consider if you want to see your orchids flower.
- It is important that you provide the orchids with the right growing environment. You have to know the amount of light needed by the plant that will depend on what variety it is.
- It is also essential that you water them properly. Most orchids should be watered once a week on its resting period. You have to keep it dry between watering.
- Orchids usually require a humid environment because they are considered tropical plants. You can take advantage of humidifier for the winter and buy trays. Never place the orchids in the bathroom because of too much moisture.
- There are orchids that might refuse to bloom because of not getting enough light. In this case, you might need to use full-spectrum lights. There are times that the orchids are unable to acquire enough natural light so you just have to look for alternatives.
- Making use of fertilizers that are certainly for orchids can also help it flower. Make sure that the food contains phosphorus, nitrogen, and potassium. Give the orchids with fertilizer once a month.
- You have to consider lowering the temperature at night in your growing area because orchids are usually sensitive to temperature.
- Keep the area well-ventilated by using fans or opening the windows.