It is a popular belief that flowers have their own languages and they can be used to express different kinds of emotions and sentiments. A rose for example is an expression of passion or love or affection. This is one of the most common and well-known flower expressions across the world. The rose is a universal sign for something that is related to the emotion of love. Which is why it is almost always common that people give a hand bouquet or a flower arrangement of roses or other dark red or pink blooms to show affection and care.
The language of flowers is diverse and should not be limited to a simple “I love you.” There are many other things or emotions you can express with a hand bouquet. It just takes the right flower for the right emotion. For every occasion or every emotion, it is always good to be ready and to know which kinds of flowers you should give by what they mean. It avoids confusion and an awkward moment when you know exactly what your flower arrangement is trying to say.
You can ask your local florist to tell you about the language of flowers and what each bloom means or represents. This would help you choose the right kinds of flowers for your unique and special flower bouquet.
Here are some flowers and what they mean:
- ACACIA BLOSSOM – Concealed Love; Beauty in Retirement; Chaste Love. This flower would be perfect to give someone who is about to retire or is retiring. This flower could also represent concealed love, for that secret admirer touch.
- ACORN – This flower goes back in history as something or a Nordic symbol that represents life and immortality.
- AMBROSIA – Your Love is Reciprocated is the meaning of this flower. Give this to someone who is waiting for an answer from you so they would know that you feel the same way.
- AMARYLLIS – This flower represents pride. This could be given as a gift to your child on her graduation or someone who has made you proud.
- ANEMONE – this flower symbolizes forsakenness. Do not make a mistake of giving this to someone special as forsaken means being abandoned or left in a helpless state.
- ARBUTUS– This flower represents the kind of devotion to one person. The love that is only for one person. Aside from a rose, this flower can also say “I love you” but in a more mannered and old-fashioned way
- AZALEA – This flower is perfect if you want to tell the other person to take care of themselves for you. This can show an emotion of love and importance.
- BACHELOR BUTTON – This flower symbolizes the beauty and blessedness of being single. Give this to someone you know who had just gotten out of a relationship and is sad about it. This flower represents hope and shows that there is beauty in being single.
- BEGONIA – This flower represents a warning. It is best that you do not mistake and give this to someone you care about or someone who is mourning because the danger this flower entails is something of a future event and nobody wants to think that something bad is about to happen.
- BELLS OF IRELAND – this flower represents “Good luck”. This is the perfect flower choice for someone you want to wish luck on or someone you want to give confidence to. This flower will definitely make any day better and someone braver.
- BOUQUET OF WITHERED FLOWERS – This, from the name itself could only mean one thing. Sadness. Or a rejection. If you get these flowers or give them to someone, make sure you know what it entails.
- CAMELLIA – This flower represent admiration. This could be given to anyone you admire to let them know how grateful you are for their existence and how you idolize them and admire them as a person.
- CAMELLIA Pink – This flower represents longing. It says “I am longing for you” you can send this or give it to someone you are missing. This is perfect for couples who are far from each other or do not see each other often. It is also a way to say I miss you just because.
- CAMELLIA Red – This represents a burning passion you feel inside your heart that could be compared to a fire. You can give a hand bouquet of this to someone you passionately love.
- CAMELLIA White – A sweet and affectionate way to tell someone that you find them adorable.
- CARNATION Solid Color – This flower, in general, is used for weddings and events that represent unity and love. If it is in a solid color, it is a good sign. It means “yes.”
- CARNATION Striped – This is a beautiful way to tell someone you cannot be with them. To reject them in the kindest way and to let a flower give a hint or idea of the rejection that is to come.
- CARNATION White – This type of carnation is called a “woman’s gift”. It also represents pureness and innocence which is perfect to give someone you see as someone so pure and lovely. This type of flower is usually used to decorate churches.
- CARNATION Yellow – This flower is a subtle way of telling someone that they have disappointed you or that you reject them for something wrong they have done to you.